Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Pet Peeve


One of my biggest pet peeves: Chronic absenteeism. 

"I'm Sick" ... "I'm having a family problem today" ... "I'm stuck in traffic out of town" ... "I just can't make it in"

These are just some of the excuses 1 employee has given me in the last month. 

I can't take it anymore. They work today and so do I. 

We will be having a little heart to heart in which I will give them a final warning:

Miss another shift, unexcused, and there is no need to bother coming back for any more shifts because you will no longer work here.

Harsh? 

Maybe. 

But it's not fair to the rest of the team that shows up for work everyday, even when they don't want to, and has to pick up the extra work because someone else is chronically absent.

Hopefully they get the message.

6 comments:

  1. That's what you are suppose to do. You are right on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask them why they have this problem. If it happens again get rid of em. I like to get to the why though. Maybe if we hear their answer they will come in on time after that. If we know why we can fix it. Maybe the guy has had 40 jobs before and no one took the time to ask why they do this... Just an idea.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chronic absenteeism = chronic unemployment.

    That's just the way the world works, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not harsh. Warranted. I've done the same thing a few times myself, though not in the restaurant industry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hats the constant absence people too! I work retail at the same store for 5 years and I have called out once. I hats the people who are absent once a week. I don't want to be there anymore then they do but suck it up. We are grown ups we have to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a good plan to me

    ReplyDelete